I should really start writing all my testimonies / encounters before they get hazy; I should not be lazy. :)
This post speaks about God's ability to heal those who have faith. I've actually posted about this before, but this comes with a fresh perspective 3 months down.
It was Oct 17, yet another Monday, probably the 2nd or 3rd Alpha class. I had a terrible terrible migraine that day, popping 3 panadols over the day and the pills weren't helping. Alpha starts at 8pm - I was contemplating if I should be going, the colleagues were all asking me to go home because I was looking pale - in other words, I looked like shit. At 7.30, I was still undecided - I really want to go, but my head really hurts and I was giddy. In the end, I decided to go - I just felt like I had to, if only I was this persistent in attending my classes back in SIM :).
It was as though something was trying to prevent me from going - I couldn't get a cab, so I headed to the bus stop - one of the buses whizzed passed as I was reaching the bus stop. Another bus came and I boarded it, and in my painful/giddy haze, I didn't realise that it was the wrong bus and ended up stopping much further from the usual bus stop. I practically had to crawl over slowly (because the migraine-induced giddiness was making me nauseous). I was texting the ex and she was applauding my effort and saying that maybe, my headache would go away when I get to class, as a reward for my effort.
Finally, I managed to drag my sorry ass into the classroom and class that day talked about why Jesus died on the cross - It was something that I couldn't understand. If he is God, why did he have to die? So it goes on to explain that sin was brought to the world when Adam and Eve disobeyed God when they ate the forbidden fruit. Prior to that, there was no distance between God and human, but because God hated sin (see, the moment Adam and Eve ate the fruit, they started hiding from God) and sin was bad, it created a barrier between God and human. Hence in the olden days, people often made sacrifices by killing their livestock as an offering to God for forgiveness of their sins. Christ came down to earth as a 'sacrifice' for our sins and because he is God while being a 100% human being - With the act of dying on the cross, he wiped out all sins past, present and after, so that there's no barrier between God and human again - all we needed to do was to believe in him - as John 3:16 says, "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life."
The understanding of sin was learnt along the way much later, what I took away during class was that Christ went through a lot while on Earth. He was persecuted and when he was put on the cross, he was greatly humiliated, God, humiliated, abused, in pain - he was stripped and whipped and paraded to be jeered at while being sent to his slow and painful death just so that our relationship with God could be whole again. I was very amazed by this new understanding of His love for us. You see, I've never understood the mechanics behind things.
Anyway, the migraine didn't go away, it got worse. On the way home, again, I couldn't get a cab and had to make my way home by bus. With each bump and each time the driver braked, I felt sick. Was entertaining the thought of getting off the bus halfway so I could puke it all out at the bus stop. I was texting the ex and fake-complaining that what she said didn't happen. She was sympathetic and trying to comfort me - and I suddenly said 'compared to what He went through on the cross, my headache was nothing'. It was the beginning of my journey then, I do not say disgusting things like that, nor do I feel comfortable about discussing God because it made me feel self-conscious. I didn't know why I said that, but as soon as the last word was uttered, snap - The pain went from bad to... a very light, sore feeling. Just like that. I couldn't believe it and held my breath, waiting for the pain to come back. It didn't, I just felt normal, I wasn't nauseous, I was able to skip home, half in shock and half in awe. I knew something amazing had happened.
No comments:
Post a Comment