Sunday, June 28, 2009

I'm NEVER EVER going tree-climbing again. I spent the whole time climbing up to treetops and shaking in fear while trying to get from from tree to tree (as part of the route), actually, swinging from tree to tree mostly. The worst one that had me shaking in fear was this:

Imagine your only way to get across to another tree was to step/jump from see-saw to see-saw at tree top level. Yes, I was attached to a cable that was Perfectly Safe. But I just couldn't get over the fear of slipping. It was solid earth a few metres below after all. The damn thing actually starts shaking when I stand on it for too long (maybe because my knees were shaking) trying to muster up the courage to get to the other swing, I stumbled several times and nearly stepped into air as the distance between each swing was about one big step away and because the swing was allowed to sway like those you see in playgrounds, it shakes a whole damn lot, I cussed so much and that was bad - especially when a while string just flowed effortlessly out from my mouth when I saw the next superman stunt - and that was after the instuctor asked if I was a convent girl, I should've just denied.

Damn, just the thought of it is making my heart pound all over again. I spent the whole painful 3 hours berating myself for torturing myself like that. The flying fox across bedok reservoir was fun, but stepping off the tree into nothingness always took more than a while - although things were better towards the end. I didn't try everything - felt like a wuss for that, but I think I ought to know my limit. If it's no longer enjoyable, it can never be fun. At least, with the jetty jump, I had really wanted to do it. Maybe that's why I don't like scary amusement park rides (those that plunge down 180 degrees without warning and then stopping and plunging or roller coaster rides that are super high, have sharp / upside down turns), because I'm just not receptive to the idea of challenging / facing that fear.

Fears aside, I'll be going on the long-awaited holiday with Love in a few days! I'm really looking forward to it - though I'm pretty broke now and will even be more so after the trip. But that's what holidays are for isn't it? You scrooge so you can spend it all in a few days and come back to continue the arduous cycle again just to have that short taste of freedom.

School's starting again it's gonna be painful. I am getting tired thinking about all the late nights ahead... so, regardless of the possibility of contracting the dreaded H1N1, I'm very determined to enjoy myself. BUT armed with of course

1. The very pricey box of 10 tamiflu tablets at $70 (instuctions: pop 1 per day as a prevention, or alternatively, pop 2 per day once you get the symptoms - we are going ahead with the latter - we do not want to be quarantined in a foreign country, not matter how much we love it)
2. 20 surgical masks to be shared with Love @ $9
3. 4 N95 masks @ $2.50 (to wear on the plane) each just in case we get infected despite popping tamiflu as a preventive measure.
4. Dettol handwash

I hope it's sufficient.

We are trying to be as responsible as possible and am trying our darnest not to be the next super infecters. We were talking about it last night, it's really a hell lot of trouble, not to mention, extremely costly for what was supposed to be a budget trip. If H1N1 broke out in early March when we made the arrangements, we wouldn't have gone with the plans. We avoided BKK for the past two years because of the unstable political situation though wonderful BKK was beckoning and cheap deals were springing up every so often. It's just not worth the worries.

Anys, according to new measures implemented at my ulu-kampong but very highly populated workplace, we will have to quarantine ourselves for 7 days when we return - infected or not - thank god they are not making us pay for that with our miserable annual leave. We'll be working from home. My mum insists I quarantine myself at Love's home since they are back to work at the canteen and it'll be terrible if they become infected. Ah well.

This is getting too lengthy, to end off, I spent 5 hours packing my room today, it's looking much much much less like a pig-sty... much to the relief of my parents and Love. I hope this lasts. =)

No comments: